Thursday, November 3, 2011

French Onion Soup!

It was so good!! The hardest part about making it was frequently stirring the onions for about 20 minutes, just so they cooked evenly and didn't stick to the pan. I had no idea making FO soup would be so simple, and with so few ingredients. I would definitely recommend it, if you like FO soup of course ;) A few changes I made to this original recipe:
- Used Trader Joe's Cabernet Sauvignon instead of dry sherry (only spent $2.99 AND we had drinks to go with our meal!)
- Used vegetable stock cubes instead of chicken stock, because, well ya know I'm trying to avoid meat related things.
- Used 1 red onion and 2 yellow onions instead of 3 spanish onions.
- Instead of using unsalted butter, we used Earth Balance.
- Because I HATE cutting onions (burning, firey eyes), I did NOT cut them up into small pieces. They were large chunks. Equally delicious and chunky.

Also, when I make this again (and I totes will) I will probably just break up the bread into crouton shapes, and cut the cheese up into little strips so it doesn't all stay together in one piece after you broil it.

french-onion-soup

No comments:

Post a Comment